May your days always be merry and bright. And may the joy of Christmas be with you through the new year.
You are loved.
(I) Give Thanks For:
the delicious food and wine I’m about to inhale.
dry socks, because wet socks are aggravating.
strong legs that endure mile after mile.
wonderful people who love me in spite of all my flaws and inspire me to be better.
a patient boyfriend who gives me the freedom to experiment and try different things, even if it seems crazy.
the ability to think, dream, and doodle because without which there would be no hope.
good health, because nothing replaces that.
the opportunity to work in an industry that most only dream of.
being able to afford yoga classes, races, or anything else that you can technically do for free but still pay to participate.
a local running organization that hosts a race every week, I’ve learned this week that this is rare.
and last but certainly not least – amazing LGC readers. I am truly grateful, humbled, and hope to bring you more exciting, inspiring content in the future. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
There’s so much more for which I’m grateful and I don’t want today to be the only day in which I express my gratitude. I made this “Give Thanks For” frame inspired by the “I Love You Because” frames I’ve seen on pinterest. You can use a dry erase marker to finish the sentence every day. Check out T&K, the other blog I co-write, for supplies and instructions.
Have a wonderful, carb-filled, starchy and delicious Thanksgiving Holiday.
As January is coming to an end, I’m encouraged by the fact that the gym will be less crowded by the end of February. But the reality is that newbies and veterans are all guilty of annoying somebody. Here are the top gym pet peeves surveyed by Lean Girls, fitness fanatics on twitter, and myself.
10. When people come to the gym with makeup that’s been freshly reapplied or pour on the perfume/cologne. If you’re coming from work, we get it. But don’t put on a coat of mascara right before that Zumba class!
9. When people DO NOT wipe down the with disinfectant.
8. When people come to the gym sick. Please refer back to #9.
7. When people hog multiple sets of weights.
6. When people DO NOT return weights or any other equipment to their original location. Please refer also to #7.
5. When the fitness instructor or trainer has no idea what they’re doing and has worse form than you.
4. When people who are using the machine you need, sit there texting, watching TV, or rest for a really really really long time.
3. When people drop weights after a set. There’s usually a sign that says “please do not drop weights”.
2. When you are the only one doing cardio and then some other person comes up and uses the machine right next to you. It’s like bathroom etiquette – occupy every other until it’s full!
1. When people walk around the locker room completely naked and have no intention of dressing.
There are too many to list. What did I miss? What’s your gym pet peeve? Leave a comment or tweet me @gracekelle with #gympetpeeve #leangirlsclub.
This week was Fall TV Time! Or whatever it is it’s called. TV premiere week. Or the start of the new TV season, I guess.
You can tell I don’t watch that much TV. I don’t even have cable — just Season Two of Mad Men on DVD and a fondness for Saturday morning cooking shows on PBS.
But I did tune in for one premiere: New Girl, 9/8 Central Tuesdays on FOX.
It was a little awkward, as most pilots are, but it had some good lines about “reverse Mormons” (I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t used that one before… don’t ask why…) and a “stripper with a heart of gold.” That last one hit me funny because I’m pretty sure one of my former roommates owns the domain name hookerwithaheartofgold.com. Or she did at one point, at least. I’m also pretty sure another of my former roommates is actually Zooey Deschanel’s character, Jess. Which, considering the premise of the show is Jess moving in to an apartment full of men, might actually make me a man.
While we’re on the subject, how do I love thee, Zooey Deschanel? Let me count the ways…
Um, yeah. Can she join the club? Because I think it’s pretty clear this “New Girl” rocks!
Jenny is the winner of the Birthday Bonanza Giveaway. Congrats Jenny! As luck would have it, Jenny just celebrated her own birthday as well. I was reminded of this when I checked out her blog. Let’s all wish Jenny a … Continue reading
Today is the day. Today is my birthday. For the last week I’ve been working hard for this day. The day when calories supposedly don’t count. I’ve been running faster, longer and lifting harder in anticipation of all the delectable … Continue reading
Lisa at Early Morning Run presented me the Stylish Blogger Award. And as my acceptance speech I’m to list seven random facts about me. I’m going to TRY to make this about diet, fitness, and health but forgive me if it’s … Continue reading
I’ve been in California nine days on business working with Boney James, Carl Thomas, and Ledisi. Somehow in between morning TV, promotional events, going to the studio, and meetings I somehow managed to find a way to work out every … Continue reading
Something new that I’m trying out for you Lean Girls. There are so many classes, gadgets, work out clothes, snacks and more that I encounter that I become obsessed with or “sweat” as the kids say. So each week I’ll try … Continue reading