First, let me start by apologizing for falling off the blogging bandwagon. It’s been a crazy month of traveling, work, etc. But no excuses! I can’t neglect Lean Girls Club like I have been since it’s something that brings me a lot of joy.
Second, let me also apologize for the woe-is-me/depressing nature of my last post. (I only know this because I had several notes from folks expressing concern for me). It wasn’t meant to be that way and as a writer I’m truly disappointed that’s how I came across. What I meant to say was that sometimes life gets out of control, as it did for me not too long ago. It sucks. It’s out of our control. But what got my through the moments of wavering and inconsistency were my workouts. It kept me sane. And it was one thing that consistently made me feel good, while everything was not-consistent. I hope exercise does the same thing for you because that’s the best reason to stay active and exercise. It shouldn’t be just about losing weight or burning calories. You should exercise because it makes you feel good and you want to feel great.
Lastly, I hope you all had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend filled with trips to the beach/pool, relaxation, air conditioning and watermelon to kick off the summer. Since summer is the season of barbeques, here are a few tips I’ve learned from other Lean Girls to stay swimsuit ready this summer without skimping on the fun.
- Top your burger with salsa instead of ketchup or mayo. You’ll save anywhere from 10 calories to 45 calories per tablespoon.
- The grill is your friend. It’s not only responsible for those juicy burgers but it does wonders with corn, peppers, zucchini, artichokes, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc. Add some herbs and spices for an extra kick.
- Supply popsicles rather than ice cream for dessert. You don’t have to be a kid to enjoy this tasty, frozen treat. I learned this yesterday as my friends and I enjoyed fruit pops and creamsicles. 60 calories for a fudgsicle vs 200 calories in a scoop of ice cream? No contest.
- Trying to cut back on red meat? Salmon burgers are just as tasty (my friend Doug gets them from Costco) or try grilling shrimp. If you use the frozen kind, remember to defrost them first!
- Going to the potluck bbq? Don’t be embarrassed to be the “boring” friend that brings veggies or fruit to the party. If you don’t want to bring a box of berries, opt for fruit salad or fruit kebabs.
- Hydrate! Make sure to drink enough water to keep you cool and hydrated. No one wants to get sick at a bbq.
- Don’t feel like drinking alcohol but don’t want to drink water the entire night? Splash a bit of cranberry juice (or any juice) in seltzer and throw a few berries in the glass. Want to go the extra mile? Freeze berries in ice cubes ahead of time.
- Rather than asking quests to bring chips or dip, don’t be afraid to ask them to make something. Most guests (and you’ll know who) are more than willing to contribute. Get creative. Allow friends to show off their culinary skills.
- Kebabs! What a great way to incorporate more veggies into your meal! Meat/veggie kebabs. Or again, fruit kebabs.
What are some BBQ tips you’ve learned that help you stay Lean?