They’re sinfully delicious. There are various stories as to how the buffalo wing actually came to existence but they did indeed come from Buffalo, NY. Buffalo wings won America’s heart after the Buffalo Bills’ four consecutive appearances in the Super Bowl (1990 – 1993). The focused media attention featured Buffalo cuisine and its wings became synonymous with football and sports in general.
I love wings more than the next person. Hooters hot wings are my favorite. But they’re high in calories as they are sometimes breaded, fried and then drenched in sauce. And let’s not forget the beverages that usually accompanies these wings: beer and/or soda.
So as we approach this weekend’s NFL League Championships, here are a few tips to save you from overdoing it on this American favorite at your local bar or viewing party.
- Eat a high protein snack before going out
- Alternate between one wing and 2-3 celery sticks.
- Don’t dip the entire wing in the blue cheese/ranch. Instead, dip your fork in the sauce and then spread it on the wing.
- Pick the hot over the mild so you eat fewer!
- If you have a plate, fill 1/4 of the plate with wings and 3/4 with other less fattening dishes (salad, veggies, chili, etc)
- If eating the wings, go with the lite beer or skip it all together. Alcohol also lowers your inhibitions are you’re more likely to eat more.
FYI, if you’re a Lean Girl and not a sports girl the Green Bay Packers are playing the Chicago Bears and the New York Jets are playing the Pittsburgh Steelers. Are you heading out to watch the game (or attend a viewing party)? What is your game plan to keep you from stuffing your face?